Elwood62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hello to all.

This is a story about my GF and I in our relationship and also the process for our prospective marriage visa.

The thing we found was to take our time to have all the information and not to rush the process it is what it is you have to work with it. Getting upset and angry about how stupid this is or why does it cost so much blah blah blah does not help so go with the flow and do it RIGHT the first time. It is a process that is there for a reason.

I had made a number of trips to Thailand but on one of these trips about 2.5 years ago I met my now fiancé. After I had made a number of trip and a lot of phone calls and video chat we decided that it was time for my GF to make a trip to Australia to see what see thought of our great country and also to meet my family. This was October 2010. Stayed for 2 weeks and loved the place for this we had an agent do a tourist visa as she had never had a passport or travelled, for me this took the worry away as much as you could. To add to this I proposed during this visit. Then I made a further trip to Thailand and at this point we decided that it would be a good idea to start the process for a prospective marriage visa.

The paper work was gathered as we used a agent again. Now the reason for using an agent, was that I run a business and felt that my time would be best spent making money and not spending this time in preparing the visa. The agent gave us a list of what was needed to start the process. Then I travelled to Sydney and paid the fee $1995.00 that hurt for sure lol.

All paper work was sent to the agent and on 29th of September 2011 the application was lodged. Further paper work was supplied over the flowing 4 to 7 weeks then we had the final list from our agent of required documents. This was about the same time the case officer provided us with a list of documents and these where the ones we had already started to compile as per the agents list. We were sent to papers for the police check and the medicals for my GF and her daughter. These were completed at the end February of this year. In March of 2012 we received an email saying that the application was forwarded to the person to make a decision. Finally on the 11th of April the prospective marriage visa was granted.

Our plan was to have the GF come to Australia in may/june of 2012 then her daughter was to come at the end of next year. How wrong we were lol. Due to the medicals expiring on the 11th of December 2012 the daughter has to enter and stay in Australia before this date. On the 3rd of june the fiancé arrived at Sydney airport and in October her daughter will arrive in Aus and we will marry then we will do the temporary and permanent visa application for both of them. Then there is about a 6month wait for approval for this.

I’m sure I have missed something here but have covered most things. I hope this helps others to see that all is not lost and that with the hard work and patience you will make it and enjoy your new life together.

Any questions I will try to answer for you also.

• Brissy1 likes this

#2 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Elwood

Thank's for sharing your story with the forum - congratulations too, well done to you and your fiance.

The partner visa process is long and can be frustrating at times indeed. Fortunately your fiance is now in Australia with you and you can be together, and at least have a bit of a break before you have to worry about the onshore partner visa application.

I personally think the long processing times (currently 10 months) is definitely a strain on many relationships, but hopefully for all there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Again congratulations to the two of you.

Posted Image

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

#3 Elwood62

Elwood62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

thank you so much. yes you are very true in what you say. having said all that I have said here I thjink having all the information and not trying to take short cuts and making sure there is nothing they will have a question about that is not answered in the application will contribute to sortening the time take. and lets face it every day week or months counts. as you said the pressure on a relationship with this process is great.

cheers Mick

#4 Strongarm

Strongarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Congrats, I didn't know the processing time was 10 months, I'm not looking forward to that when we go down this road...

#5 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Congrats, I didn't know the processing time was 10 months, I'm not looking forward to that when we go down this road...

Welcome to the forum Strongarm.

Although current standard processing times for partner visas (including prospective marriage visa applications) is currently 10 months for applications submitted to the Australian Embassy Bangkok. In many cases it may in fact take less than that. An applicant and sponsor can avoid unnecessary delay by submitting a complete application. If a case officer has to chase the applicant and sponsor for further outstanding supporting documentation this will certainly increase the processing time.
  • Elwood62 likes this

Posted Image

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

#6 Elwood62

Elwood62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Okay, just a small update. We were married on the 21 st of this month. Now to sort out the temporary and permanent partner visa. Sorting out the schools etc for the daughter and language lessons etc. Will keep you updated as time goes on.
  • Lucky7Country likes this

#7 Bridge

Bridge

Admin

• Administrators
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Okay, just a small update. We were married on the 21 st of this month. Now to sort out the temporary and permanent partner visa. Sorting out the schools etc for the daughter and language lessons etc. Will keep you updated as time goes on.

Congratulations Elwood. Please keep the forum updated.

Signature.gif

#8 Elwood62

Elwood62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

As mentioned above we are now married. we have also put the temporary and permanent visa application in on the 31st of Dec to beat the price rise. After 1 week we received a email stating we had our application in etc. Also this included a letter for medicare. so now wife and daughter are both covered by medicare. It is now the waiting game for us.

Just as a side note for all those that are going through the same. DON'T GET SIDE TRACKED BY THE TIME FRAMES. Remember it does take what it takes and every case will be different, and if you focus on the application and your relationship time does fly, take this from me, and all the best.

#9 Bridge

Bridge

Admin

• Administrators
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Elwood thanks for the update. Congratulations too on your wife submitting the onshore partner visa application. I believe the standard processing time for the onshore partner visa is approximately 6 months. Fortunately your wife and daughter can remain in Australia on their respective bridging visas until the partner visa is granted.

It is unfortunate that offshore partner visa processing is so lengthy, and this must definitely takes it toll on some people's relationships. How people should look at this however, is that they are not just applying for a visa, but to migrate permanently to Australia. Just by the very nature of this it would be expected to take time. Even with the extremely high costs of living in Australia, it is undoubtedly one of the most desirable countries in the world to live in, and any decision to allow a person to migrate permanently to Australia will take time.

Signature.gif

#10 Cilla

Cilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Elwood thanks for the update. Congratulations too on your wife submitting the onshore partner visa application. I believe the standard processing time for the onshore partner visa is approximately 6 months. Fortunately your wife and daughter can remain in Australia on their respective bridging visas until the partner visa is granted.

It is unfortunate that offshore partner visa processing is so lengthy, and this must definitely takes it toll on some people's relationships. How people should look at this however, is that they are not just applying for a visa, but to migrate permanently to Australia. Just by the very nature of this it would be expected to take time. Even with the extremely high costs of living in Australia, it is undoubtedly one of the most desirable countries in the world to live in, and any decision to allow a person to migrate permanently to Australia will take time.

This is the road we place our feet on. I agree only the strong relationships will survive and maybe thats the underlying reason for such a long processing. I just hope that anybody who takes this road that they do so with as much info as they can get and understanding the full process involved and the time frames as well, save everbody a lot of heartache. I am just starting my journey and I know it will take another 12 months or more before my G/F and I will see our plan come to fruition, we both understand that it will take that long and are prepared for it

Cilla

#11 Bridge

Bridge

Admin

• Administrators
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi Cilla,

Welcome to the forum. You may be right with the underlying reasons for the long processing. I have often suspect this too. I think it was February 2011 that processing for partner visas (in Thailand anyway) increased from 3 months to 12 months.

From experience partner visas don't currently take 12 months, but they don't take 3 months either.

Signature.gif

#12 Cilla

Cilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the Hi Bridge.

I was reading Elwoods story above and this is a great outcome. From what I know his experience is the end result of good preparation and planning and most of all patience, oh and don't forget money, 555.

My girlfriend has already had her first visa to Australia and we are in the process of compiling the paperwork for her second. The next one after number 2 Tourist Visa will be Prospective Spouse Visa and the fun and games needed for that one.

The only advice I can give anybody looking to do a Tourist Visa or other Visa's is get the right info, take your time, collect all the correct paperwork from both sides and never forget it is not YOUR visa, I saw a Aussie guy in VFS in Bangkok carrying on because his girlfriend was refused a Visa and he thought it was all about him. Longevity of the relationship is a big tick and most important is reason to return.

I know the time frame required is frustrating but keep looking at the end and all will be worth it.

Cilla

#13 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thanks for the Hi Bridge.

I was reading Elwoods story above and this is a great outcome. From what I know his experience is the end result of good preparation and planning and most of all patience, oh and don't forget money, 555.

My girlfriend has already had her first visa to Australia and we are in the process of compiling the paperwork for her second. The next one after number 2 Tourist Visa will be Prospective Spouse Visa and the fun and games needed for that one.

The only advice I can give anybody looking to do a Tourist Visa or other Visa's is get the right info, take your time, collect all the correct paperwork from both sides and never forget it is not YOUR visa, I saw a Aussie guy in VFS in Bangkok carrying on because his girlfriend was refused a Visa and he thought it was all about him. Longevity of the relationship is a big tick and most important is reason to return.

I know the time frame required is frustrating but keep looking at the end and all will be worth it.

Indeed not uncommon to hear of Aussie guy's complaining and ranting that their Thai girlfriends were refused a tourist visa. As you pointed out Cilla they think it is all about them. Well some of them anyway. The best one is when they say they are going to complain to their local member of Parliament.

Particularly with regards to a tourist visa it is an assessment of all of the applicants personal circumstances that will determine whether their intention is to visit Australia as a genuine visitor or not as required by the Migration Regulations.

Good luck on the 2nd tourist visa.

Kanga

Posted Image

#14 Elwood62

Elwood62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

A quick update to the partner visa process for my wife and step daughter. On the 31st of December 2012 application was made for temporary and permanent spouse visa at the Parramatta DIAC office. At this time I did the application and supplied all docs etc with photos also of our wedding which took place on the south coast on the 21st of October 2012. The temporary spouse visa was granted on the 24th of April 2013. so most of the hard work for the visa's has now been done. About time, but well and truly worth the effort and time it took.

For those that are going through this process or are about to go through, just hang in there. Provide all the documents and supporting information and chill it will happen remember this is just part of the trip you and your other half are on its not the main part of you life together.

if you have questions about this also please feel free to ask

Mick

#15 Cilla

Cilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Indeed not uncommon to hear of Aussie guy's complaining and ranting that their Thai girlfriends were refused a tourist visa. As you pointed out Cilla they think it is all about them. Well some of them anyway. The best one is when they say they are going to complain to their local member of Parliament.

Particularly with regards to a tourist visa it is an assessment of all of the applicants personal circumstances that will determine whether their intention is to visit Australia as a genuine visitor or not as required by the Migration Regulations.

Good luck on the 2nd tourist visa.

Kanga

Update for you Kanga,

2nd tourist visa approved, no problem with a 5 day turn around. girlfriend arrives in Australia at Sydney on the 14th June for a 3 month stay.

Cilla

#16 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Update for you Kanga,

2nd tourist visa approved, no problem with a 5 day turn around. girlfriend arrives in Australia at Sydney on the 14th June for a 3 month stay.

Hi Cilla,

Great news and thanks for the update. 5 day turn around is great. Seems they are working a little faster at the Embassy at the moment.

I submitted a tourist visa (subclass 600) last Monday at VFS, was delivered to the Australian Embassy Bangkok on the Tuesday and the visa was granted on the Thursday. All this notwithstanding that the VFS receipt said that it would not be processed until 10 working days. This was a remarkable turn around.

So what's next after this tourist visa Cilla, a partner visa?

Kanga

Posted Image

#17 Cilla

Cilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hi Cilla,

Great news and thanks for the update. 5 day turn around is great. Seems they are working a little faster at the Embassy at the moment.

I submitted a tourist visa (subclass 600) last Monday at VFS, was delivered to the Australian Embassy Bangkok on the Tuesday and the visa was granted on the Thursday. All this notwithstanding that the VFS receipt said that it would not be processed until 10 working days. This was a remarkable turn around.

So what's next after this tourist visa Cilla, a partner visa?

Kanga

Yes it will be a Partner Visa. We will do this three months after my girlfriend returns to Thailand. We will start the process for a prospective marriage visa. As I have said previously you have to go into something like this with a good understanding of the documents required and the time frame that it will take and the costs involved. This is a big and life changing thing we do and look at it like that so there will be no half measures in our preparation.

She has a daughter as well so that complicates it a little bit as well and further documentation is required there. Once we submit the prospective marriage visa application and after the medical and Police checks have been done she wlll apply for another tourist visa to help break up the waiting time for us.

To anybody thinking of doing these visas the best advice I can give is preparation and patience, this process is what it is and is not likely to change much no matter what we personally think. If considering doing it yourself, read everything you can about it and get good advice, if it seems a bit to much then engage someone who knows how to do it. The main thing is don't rush things, a bit of short term pain for a long term gain.

Happy days are nearly here again, ha ha ha

Cilla

Cilla

#18 Brissy1

Brissy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Congratulations to you both!

This story has lifted my spirits my fiance and I are in the process of applying for a prospective marriage visa, I just returned from one month holiday in Australia, I met my wonderful in laws to be, and was surprised to an amazing engagement at the beautiful gold coast Gondolas romantic cruise, the good news doesn't end there, after my holidays are over we just learnt that we are pregnant. We are taking time getting all the paper works and requirements in place prior to the application lodgement. My greatest fear is the waiting period for upto 10 months, as we both would want our baby born when we are together and our loved ones. I hope it all goes well for us like it has for both of you.

#19 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

This story has lifted my spirits my fiance and I are in the process of applying for a prospective marriage visa, I just returned from one month holiday in Australia, I met my wonderful in laws to be, and was surprised to an amazing engagement at the beautiful gold coast Gondolas romantic cruise, the good news doesn't end there, after my holidays are over we just learnt that we are pregnant. We are taking time getting all the paper works and requirements in place prior to the application lodgement. My greatest fear is the waiting period for upto 10 months, as we both would want our baby born when we are together and our loved ones. I hope it all goes well for us like it has for both of you.

Be aware that you will have to undergo a medical and radiological examination before the prospective marriage visa can be granted. As you are pregnant you might want to discuss any concerns with regards to having an x-ray whilst pregnant with your doctor.

Posted Image

#20 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 343 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Be aware that you will have to undergo a medical and radiological examination before the prospective marriage visa can be granted. As you are pregnant you might want to discuss any concerns with regards to having an x-ray whilst pregnant with your doctor.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users